Wednesday, August 22, 2012

ED... the Eating Disorder HELL!

Today, the first part of my little sister's article on her eating disorder came out. This has been a very emotional year for our family, but I am so very proud of her and what she has been able to accomplish. My little sister (we have different mom's) was the 2010 number one High School swimming recruit. I have been watching her swim for over a decade. At small meets, Olympic trials, High School meets, etc. She trained with the same coach as Ryan Lochte. She won a gold medal on a relay with Missy Franklin. She has been in Sports Illustrated.

I will never forget when she told me that she had an eating disorder. I will never forget the experience of checking her into treatment, or visiting her at treatment. She is releasing her story to help others. Depression can consume someones entire life. I know this too well, and unfortunately suffered with it myself for a long time. I look to my sister as an inspiration for others, a role model, and a leader.

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/USA/31780.asp?q=Dagny-Knutson's-Journey:-How-an-All-Consuming-Eating-Disorder-Shoots-Down-a-Rising-Star:-Part-One

If you are someone you know suffers from depression or an eating disorder, get them help. It is never too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment