Monday, August 27, 2012

Leadership Retreat

This past weekend, I attended a Leadership Retreat through my school (Metro State University). Before I left, I thought of a number of reasons of why I shouldn't go, but in the end I am so glad that I went. We took a charter bus to Sandstone, MN. Unfortunately, there was a ton of construction and the 1.5hrs turned into 3 on the bus. As soon as we arrived, we were assigned our cabins, had lunch, and dove right into our first learning experience. I was lucky to experience the high ropes course. If you have never done one of these, I highly recommend one. I have a fear of heights and faced my fear in order to do it. At the end of the course, we got to go on the zipline. So fun! That evening, we ended the night with a bonfire, and went to bed. Unfortunately, I had 3 roommates that wanted to stay up talking until 3am, and I was already uncomfortable from sleeping on a bunk bed that was as comfortable as what I imagine a pack 'n play to be.

                                                              (The high ropes course)

Day two, we had a lot of workshops to attend. I felt that I got a lot out of our speakers that day. The focus for the weekend was social justice. At one of the sessions, I was blind folded and had to depend on my team to get me through an obstical course. We WON!! Another session, I had the opportunity to write some of my own struggles on a board and break the board with my hand. That day, I engaged in a lot of conversations with different people whom had various backgrounds. It was different to be the minority. That evening, once in bed, one of my roommates snore VERY loudly ALL night. Again, another sleepless night. Aside from the sleepless nights, I had an amazing time. I encourage everyone to spend time out of your comfort zone, meet new people, challenge yourself, educate yourself, and overcome fears. I look forward to the next opportunity that I will have to go on another retreat. However, it was amazing to come home to my boys and sleep in my own bed.


                                                        (A few of the retreat group)

                                                             (The lake we were on)

Today, I start my Junior year of college. I know, I know... I am taking the VERY long road on finishing school. I look forward to the learning experience, but I'm not excited about doing homework. 

    
(The boy I missed so much)

No comments:

Post a Comment